The third live-action Star Trek television series, Deep Space Nine, is being re-released on DVD by CBS Home Entertainment early next year.
While it doesn’t look like Sisko and crew will be getting a high-definition Blu-ray upgrade (as has been done with The Original Series, The Next Generation and Enterprise) just yet, the new box set will package all seven seasons of the series together.
We haven’t received word on any newly-recorded bonus content, that will be added to the set. However, some of the standout features seen on the original single-season DVD releases from 2003 included:
- “Deep Space Nine: A Bold New Beginning” featurette
- “New Frontiers — The Story of Deep Space Nine” with Rick Berman, Michael Piller, Ira Behr, and Robert Hewitt Wolfe
- “The Birth of the Dominion and Beyond” with Ira Steven Behr
- Two mini-documentaries looking at “Trials and Tribble-ations”
- “Ending an Era” featurette, reflecting on the final season of the series
- A multi-part feature looking at the aliens designed by FX artist Michael Westmore
All of the above are expected to carry over to this new box set. We’ve reached out to CBS to inquire about the possibility of any new bonus material, as well.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine originally ran from 1993 to 1999 and starred Avery Brooks, Nana Visitor, Rene Auberjonois, Terry Farrell, Colm Meaney, Cirroc Lofton, Armin Shimerman, Alexander Siddig, Michael Dorn and Nicole de Boer.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Complete Series on DVD will be available on February 7, 2017.
Amazon has some cover art for the individual seasons of the new DVDs. The are also available for pre-order.
DVD Cover Art Gallery